Wednesday, July 1, 2009

No scholarship for me

So I went for the interview on 16th June 2009...very nice people, they let me do all the talking :p...and I was told that the results of the interview will be out by the end of June.

I didn't hear anything from them yet this morning, so I decided to email them. The reply came soon after...
'We are sorry to inform you that you are unsuccessful in your Teaching Award application.'
It was almost as if my short of patience resulted in the failure.

It didn't come as a blow...the benefit of having to wait so long is that you have plenty of time to consider all the possibilities and how you would react to each. The flip side though, is that options closes as time pass, so that by the time the waiting is over, and the outcome is unfavourable, you are lost at what to do.
Let me explain.

After the Study-in-Canada is a closed case, I was left with two options (notice my use of pass tense): USM in Penang, and NUS in Singapore. I know I said NUS was God sent, and yes it is God sent in that matter as a means of weaning me off Canada, but in any case I could still be wrong.

So then here were my options:
A. USM-3 years Honours course, a less pretigious school but recently granted APEX status by the government, and the fees is RM240 per year, after incentives, no mistake, RM 240.

B. NUS-4 years Honours course (provided with God's help I survive well), high international rankings, and the fees is about RM 20,000 per year, after taking the Singapore Government's Tuition Grant, not to mention living expenses exculded.

This is when I wish I were a better disciple, cos I don't know what's the right choice to make.

I applied for the scholarship, went for the interview, and the wait started. Meanwhile, last Saturday, the day for USM freshmen to register, arrived. I prayed and prayed, and felt at peace to let it pass. Goodbye USM, I'm headed for NUS!
I closed the door to USM.

And then came the bad news.
It didn't come as a blow, but it came as a sting...hurts a little at first, then get's worse.

Now I have to run to God for balm. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well gurl I am glad that its NUS. Somehow I had a little burden towards it since you told me and knew that you will be going there. :) So I am glad its there you are going 2. All the best. Supporting you and ya HE is already there to give you the oilment to soothe the pain but remember HE has bigger plans and much more to show you with this so called pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropping by to say HI! siawlin88.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete